Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2009

Ottobre Design Gilda/Jalie 2447 tankini

I sewed the Gilda tankini top (#39) from the 03/09 issue of Ottobre Design with a few modifications, of course. First of all I lengthened the top, added a lining to the front and I dyed foldover elastic to match the brown hearts in the fabric. The bottoms are from Jalie 2447 - Choice of Tankinis. I sized up three letters after reading a review on I ended up trimming almost 3/4 of an inch off the leg openings, and I used 1 inch more elastic than what was recommended in the pattern.

So far, my daughter likes the pattern. I am curious to see how it will hold up as she moves through the water. Swimming lessons start in a few days so we'll find out soon.
Posted by Picasa

Portobellopixie Gracie Tiered Top/dress

This is a dress I sewed the end of May. I used the Portabellopixie Gracie for the Tiered Top,
but I made a few changes. First of all, I lengthened the bodice and I used the bottom ruffle for the Tiered dress (wider). I made several muslins and the bodice was hard to get on and off even though it seemed to fit well. I tried adding snaps to the back, but when I sewed the bodice using the denim I found it had a LOT more stretch than I thought so that really took care of the problem. If I sew this again using a non-stretch woven for the bodice, I will definitely add snaps or buttons to the back. I also added three buttons the bodice after seeing Patty Young's Modkid patterns done in denim.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, June 1, 2009

Faith Double Layer Dress top

I tested the cute SewSensible Faith Double Layer Dress top. Aimee is in the process of converting her PDF patterns to paper patterns.
This is a pattern that I have watched and watched since it was featured on My hesitation is buying this pattern has been that the pictures that sewers have sent it don't have the cute ruffle at the top. When I sewed this pattern, I asked Aimme about it. I believe she has corrected the problem; I can't wait to try another one.

The capris are just a pair of holey jeans with the knee area cut off and a ruffle sewn on. These ruffles were 21 inches by 6.5 inches. Next time, I think I'll make the ruffles a little shorter.
Posted by Picasa